Camping with Dogs - 7 Essential Travel Tips
Thinking of taking a camping trip and bringing the entire family? You are not alone as camping has grown dramatically due to the pandemic. In fact, according to the 2021 North American Camping Report, US and Canada had 6 million more households taking a camping trip in 2020 compared to 2019.
Many campers have purchased RVs as it presents a safer way to travel during the pandemic. It also allows you to bring your dog(s) - as long as the campground is pet friendly. Above is a picture of Doodle (outside) and Bianca (inside) during a camping trip earlier this year.
When considering a camping trip for all, planning is the key to a fun and relaxing trip. Here are a few tips to consider when traveling and camping with dogs:
- Check to see that wherever you are heading is pet friendly. This includes checking campgrounds and hiking trails.
- Take the right gear. The basics (leash collar, harness, ID tags) as well as any additional items such as a life jacket, paw protection (booties), and toys. Pack biodegradable poop bags, a safety light (e.g. LED collar light) and the dog’s bed (with some PawSheets). It’s a good idea to double up on some items in the event things get wet, lost or broken.
- Bring more food than you think. Pack long lasting chews, treats and portable bowls. Freeze dried or dehydrated food is a good option since it is light, healthy and easy to pack.
- Make sure you have plenty of water available. You do not want your dog drinking out of standing water. Consider getting a water bottle-travel bowl combo to make it easy to give your dog a cool drink on the trails.
- Pack a first aid kit – you can buy one already stocked.
- Buy some sun protection for dogs (yes dogs can get sunburn).
- Grab some cleaning supplies as things can get messy (rain, mud, etc.). We recommend:
- Towels - Old hand towels work great
- earthbath® Pet Wipes - Save when you buy 2 PawSheets + Grooming or Facial Wipes
- PawSheets - Pack a few so you can change as needed
- DEODORATOR® - Kills bacteria and eliminates odors. And not just dog odors.
If you have some tips or comments, please share with us. We also love to see pictures of your pets.
Become a PawPal and get 10% off your first order. You will be the first to know about special discounts, offers and new products. We respect your privacy and do not share your information.