How To Remove Odor from a Stinky Dog Bed
If you have a dog, and that dog has a dog bed, there’s a good chance you have to deal with DOG BED STINK. As I see it, there are two ways to get rid of the dog bed stink:
- Trash the dog bed - not a good solution for a number of reasons, one being cost and another is adding to landfills
- Wash it - sounds easy but not if you have a large bed. Also, sometimes even washing it will not remove the stink.
Here is my recommendation:
- Remove the cover. Shake it out and wash in the washing machine. Add 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar to the washer or put in the fabric softener dispenser. Sprinkle in 1/2 cup of baking soda on top of dog bed cover.
- If your inner mattress is washable and fits in your washer, your can add it to Step 1 with your cover. If it is too big for the washer, fill up your tub with hot water. Add a 1/4 cup of a mild detergent and 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar.
- Let the bed soak for about 15 minutes. Make sure it is submerged and not floating.
- Drain the tub of the soapy water and, if you have a shower hose, shoot it with water to get some of the soap out. Then refill the tub and squeeze the mattress to get all the soap out.
- Once you have thoroughly rinsed the inner mattress, you need to dry it. Best to do on a warm sunny day.
- When completely dry, give it a sniff. Hopefully, it will not stink. If it does, you may want to try a few sprays of a pet deodorizer. My research indicates Febreze is not safe to use around pets. For information about “safe” pet deodorizers go to Find Out How Safe “Safe” Pet Deodorizers Are.
- The best safe, natural and effective pet deodorizer - DEODORATOR®
- Put the washed cover on the bed and then to keep it fresh… invest in a few PawSheets.
As the founder of PawSheets, I created bedsheets for dog beds to deal with this issue. However, I have noticed, on occasion, an unpleasant odor in the general vicinity of my Lab’s dog bed. DEODORATOR® to the rescue!
PawSheets are great to keep the surface of a dog bed clean, but will not prevent a stinky bed from sending out stink signals. Best tip to keep the dog bed clean, is to never let it get too stinky or dirty. Keep your dog clean with grooming wipes in between baths - and make sure to change the cover (or PawSheet) at least once a week.
Become a PawPal and get 10% off your first order. You will be the first to know about special discounts, offers and new products. We respect your privacy and do not share your information.